|Description:||a sandwich made of plantains instead of bread|
Good for: Omnivore, Carnivore, Pollotarian
Appropriate Ages: Kids (3-12), Teens (13-19), Adults (20-64), Seniors (65+)
- rolling pin (to flatten plantains)
- 1 large green plantain (peeled and sliced lengthwise)
- 5 ounces meat: steak, chicken or pork (sliced thinly)
- 1/4 yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- First, heat a pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Then place the sliced plantains in the hot oil for 1 min
- Remove the plantains from the oil. Place them on a flat surface and use a rolling pin (or a flat heavy object) to gently flatten the plantains.
- Return the plantains to the hot oil until crispy and golden brown. Then place on a clean paper towel and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat, add the garlic & onions and cook until slightly browned. Then add meat, cumin, cayenne, salt & pepper. Regularly mix meat and ingredients in the pan until meat is cooked through.
- Put the meat and the cooked ingredients on a plantain slice, then add slices of tomatoes and lettuce. Spread the mayonnaise on the other plantain slice and place it (mayo side down) to top the sandwich. Enjoy!